Thursday, August 10, 2006

Israel has been killing innocents and destroying southern Lebanon for almost a month now. My friend Mary just returned from Lebanon and has sent out a letter which I repost below along with some useful articles and action steps you can take right now.



Dear Friends,

Thanks to all of you who wrote me back, and sorry if I have not written personal responses to everyone. To people I did not write before - i returned a week and a half ago from Lebanon, where I had been visiting family (with my mother, father and sister) and studying at the Lebanese American University.

Since I returned, my family and I have been busy working with the American-Arab anti-Discrimination Committee to organize lebanese-americans, jewish-american and supporters in opposition to the gravely escalating tragedy that continues in Lebanon. There are some efforts in the House of Representatives to call for an immediate ceasefire, namely resolutions by Shirley Jackson Lee and Dennis Kucinich.

Send an automated letter to Congress via True Majority.

There is a letter on the True Majority page that you can add to or change.

Also, below I am posting an Op-Ed by Fouad Siniora, Prime Minister of Lebanon, printed in yesterday's Washington Post. You may all have heard that Lebanon refused the Resolution Proposed by the US and France in the UN security council. Lebanon's opposition to the Resolution is due mainly to the fact that it does not call for the immediate withdrawal of Israeli troops from Southern Lebanon and allows Israel the option of continuing "defensive attacks" against Hezbollah. The Lebanese government demands an immediate end to Israel's occupation of Lebanon - fearing that IDF troops will find a pretext to attack Hezbollah (before an international force can replace the IDF) and spark renewed violence, as happened endless times during the previous Isreali occupation of Lebanon during the Lebanese civil war.

If you are interested in further analysis, I have set up a blog on which I am posting links to articles and to websites where you can find out more about protest events. unfortuantely alot of my journaling that I did while away has been lost on my mother's computer which was stolen in London - im still trying to recover it. . i will post more ASAP at Boston Lebanon News

Much love,

Mary



Here are some articles taken from Mary's blog to give you a more balanced perspective aside from what the dailies are spewing out there.

A piece critiquing the UN resolution by Phyllis Benice of Institute for Policy Studies.

On the Origin of Hezbollah from the Middle East Report Online.

Analysis of New York Times coverage on the responsability for the current crisis from Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting.

An op-ed piece from the Prime Minister of Lebanon.
End This Tragedy Now: Israel Must Be Made to Respect International Law


And here are two videos about what has been going on in the states taken from my friend Kadd.


Bill O'Reilly getting his ass handed to him.




Civil disobedience and a march in Washinton, DC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home