Monday, December 18, 2006

There is work, true pero que bueno que tengamos trabajo, no? In a country with a 50% unemployment rate it is good that we have work. It took me a few times to realize that when I say how busy I am with work it can be hard for Nicaraguans to understand why I am complaining. I am just so used to having work and having employment opportunities that not having nor those options is hard for me to believe at times.

Christmas is coming closer. That makes me sad and makes me long for the family. I missed Thanksgiving this year and we didn't even do anything for it here, that was in part my doing because I didn't want to try and create some dinner that would just mock everything I enjoy about Thanksgiving. I just didn't have the energy to attempt to imitate history this year.

Christmas is getting closer and I usually open presents in New Jersey or New York with the family, but this year it will be here, and who knows what the presents will be? Spanish, new friendships, new life opportunites, new horizions and new ways of living. The isolation and loneliness that rack my nightmares are only stocking stuffers. The real fruits of being here are more and less tangible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home